Monday, January 9, 2017

Hineinu - We are here Creating a Covenant Community Of Shared Lives and Real Relationships

 Friday, January 13, 8:00 p.m.
This service is open to the entire community. Please join us!

Scarsdale Synagogue is pleased to be honoring the remarkable life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  We’ll have an abbreviated service that evening, to be immediately followed by a special oneg during during which Alan Wachtel, our own congregant, will share his reflections and memories of Dr. King with our community. 

Here is an excerpt of Alan's speech
"I met Dr. Martin Luther King when my father brought a funny, warm, black minister home for dinner [in 1960??]. I followed his coffin in Atlanta, as my family was broken-hearted and mourned with the world. My father was Dr. King's advisor, lawyer and close friend.

When Dr. King was in New York, I was his driver and bodyguard. He was part of our family. He refused to let me go to the Mississippi summer because he was convinced (rightly) that SNCC was setting up for the political impact of the killing of a white kid that summer. Indeed, Andrew Goodman, James Cheney and Michael Schwarner were killed.

​In Selma, I marched with Dr. King and heard his historic speech, with federal guard troops and helicopters protecting us from angry mobs. When he spoke out at Riverside Church against the war in Vietnam, he spoke for all Americans, not black Americans alone. He was an extraordinary leader who profoundly altered the world and my life."

Scarsdale Synagogue Temples Tremont and Emanu-El
2 Ogden Road
Scarsdale, NY 10583

No comments:

Post a Comment